Thursday, February 25, 2016

Foreshadowing of a Literary Life

I believe that reading is a powerful activity. It helps your thought process by expanding your mind to endless possibilities. I've always loved reading. When I was a child, my favorite books were The Babysitters Club series, Sweet Valley High series, James and the Giant Peach, and any novels by R.L. Stine (well with the exception of the Goosebumps series). As I got older I stumbled upon Lurlene McDaniel, one of my all time favorite authors next to R.L.Stine and Karen Kingsbury. I also developed interests in biographies, more notably J. Randy Taraborelli's Michael Jackson biography, Michael Jackson: the Magic, the Madness, the Whole Story. These authors have a vast influence over the writer I have become and am developing into today.
When I started playing video games, reading took a backseat but through college I started to read a bit for pleasure again. This is how I got introduced to the Harry Potter series and Terry Goodkind series (which I still have to finish). I found my favorite genres to be Fantasy/Sci-Fi, Christian, Biography, Romance, and yes even the Young Adult genre. I have a variety of books in my collection right now including some self help books.
I currently have one novella to my name called Angel in Battle which I recognize as being published before its due time. I have that story on the back burner due to attending graduate school where I am studying creative writing. I'm working on a screenplay which was created in my screenwriting class but from a story which was meant for a novel but shines as a screenplay.
I knew I would be a writer because I began creating stories in junior high. My first was called The Rose Princess. The inspiration came from a souvenir I bought at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire. It was a copper rose which gave the scent of a real rose. It was beautiful with glistening colors at the tips as if it were dipped in oil. Writing has always been apart of my life. I denied it at first because my family pressured me into it and I wanted to make sure it was what I wanted to do. Now that I've chosen my path, I love every aspect of it. I thank God for the gift of writing and have vowed to use it to entertain others as well as help others with the finances which can be gained with a successful story. I wanted to give you some background of myself to prepare you for the posts ahead. I want to share my journey with you in hopes you may learn the ins and outs of pursuing writing as a career and also to inspire you to follow your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment